Poor Gracie has tonsilitis, a bacterial infection on her tonsils. Here is another example of genetics' cruel outcomes. She has her dad's seasonal allergies, and now my bacteria magnet tonsils. I thought she had just inherited my ability to talk nonstop, but apparently the tonsils were part of the deal. I have had tonsilitis or strep about a dozen or more times in my life. It has been (knock on wood) about 10 years since my last case of strep, and I definitely do not ever want to get it again. If you have never had the pleasure of having this fun illness I will fill you in:
It hurts to swallow ANYTHING! This includes ice cream, milk shakes, and even your own saliva.
After you manage to eat something, your throat continues to throb for at least a half an hour, or until you fall asleep.
Those things are not fun, but they are not the worst of it. The worst thing is that for brief interludes during the day you feel almost normal. Enough to play, talk (thank goodness), or do something else that makes your brother and/or sisters insist that you are faking. Then they begin to tease you long after the "normal" time is over. The result is both physical and emotional pain, the latter having the possibility for life-long effects.
At least for now, Grace's brother cannot tease her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment